Palmetto Project, Inc. is a statewide 501(c)(3) organization, founded in 1984 by South Carolina’s business leaders, to identify innovative strategies to address the social and economic challenges facing our state, and put them into action. Our top priorities are Health and Access to Care; Families, Youth and Schools; Community Engagement; Civic Participation.
Palmetto Project seeks to hire a dynamic and experienced Finance Manager to oversee and handle the daily financial tasks of this nonprofit organization, support the development of the annual budget, monitor expenditures, and provide accurate financial analyses and reporting documents. The successful candidate will take on a leadership role in fostering an environment focused on sustainable growth, resiliency, and adaptability.
Essential Functions of Position
Under direct supervision from the Chief Operating Officer and interaction with the CEO and Executive team, the Finance Manager is responsible for:
Managing Quickbooks accounting system, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements. Essential functions include:
- Recording all financial transactions
- Manage accounts payable system
- Prepare monthly and annual financial reports
- Reconcile bank statements & credit card statements
- Process bi-monthly payroll
- Prepare and submit all required payroll tax returns, any other required tax forms, and annual registrations required by the state
- Ensure all financial records remain accurate, up-to-date, and prepped for end of year procedures and annual audit
- Perform related duties as assigned, within your scope of practice
Full-time position is based on a candidate’s nonprofit oriented finance & administrative experience, interest in mastering duties beyond essential bookkeeping functions, and a desire to understand and support the goals of our organization’s programs as an essential member of the leadership team.
Areas of expertise beyond essential functions might include:
- Project/program accounting
- Annual budgeting process
- Grant applications
- Grant management
- HR functions
- Organizational cash flow forecasting
- Commission flow analysis
- Internal controls and safeguards
- Financial efficacy of program operations
- Advanced skills with Quickbooks Desktop, Excel, related reports and data manipulation, and a general comfort level with technology.
- Understanding of nonprofit budgeting, restricted/unrestricted grant funding and allocations, and GAAP standards.
- Strong decision-making skills/abilities, initiative, organizational awareness, and ability to manage relationships.
- Ability to complete major and complex projects and to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Advanced problem solving and significant decision-making abilities.
- Ability to manage and work effectively with other team members, professional relationships, and those we serve using effective verbal and written communication, collaboration, and leadership.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and advocating for the needs and concerns of staff and those we serve.
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or finance is preferred, and all previous experience and education will be considered.
- 3-5 years’ experience in accounting, preferably for a nonprofit organization
Full-time position plus benefits (Health, Dental, Vision, Life, 403b, unlimited PTO policy).
Range $56,160 – $66,560
Requires the ability to sit or stand for long periods of time, occasional stooping and reaching, and prolonged periods of time in front of a computer; May require lifting to 20 pounds; Requires a normal range of vision and hearing with or without accommodations; Position is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
DEI Mission Statement: Establishing a culture that values and embeds diversity, equity, and inclusion into the organization to advocate for the needs and concerns of staff and those we serve.
Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits, in accordance with the law, discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, military status, national origin, disability, age, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity or expression.