The Lowcountry Ministries Fund was created in response to the senseless attack on a Bible study class at Charleston’s Emanuel AME Church in June of last year. Its purpose is to address issues of social justice and economic empowerment in mostly rural, underserved areas of Allendale, Hampton, Colleton, Jasper, Beaufort, and Charleston counties.
These funds will be allocated this Fall in the form of one-time grants to eligible organizations in the designated counties whose programs and projects align with the Fund’s focus on social justice and economic empowerment. All awarded funds will need to be expended or obligated by grantees before January 2018.
2. Letter of Intent.
Your Letter of Intent should be a minimum of two pages and a maximum of three, set in Times New Roman with 12 inch font size, 1” margins, and either single or 1.15 spacing. The Letter should be organized in the following order:
A. Opening Paragraph: Your Summary Statement
- Your first paragraph should stand alone and provide a comprehensive overview of what your organization plans to do with the grant for which you are applying.
- Explain the connection between the Fund’s purposes and your project.
- Identify other organizations involved in the project and the roles they will play.
- Provide the total cost of the project, the amount of the total you are requesting.
B. Statement of Need: The WHY of the project(1-2 paragraphs)
- Explain the local need(s) your project addresses, why it is important to your organization and you community, and who will benefit from the grant you are requesting.
- Provide any data that defines the need and significance of this project to your community.
C. Project Activity: The WHAT & HOW of the project. (This will be the bulk of your letter)
- Provide a description of the activities to be underwritten with grant funds.
- Highlight how these activities are or can be effective in the addressing the need(s) you have identified.
- Identify other organizations, if any, with whom you are partnering in this project, and explain their roles.
- Explain how much of your grant will underwrite personnel, and if there is a plan for sustaining these positions when grant funds run out
D. Outcomes (1-2 paragraphs; before or after the Project Activity)
- State the specific outcome(s) you hope to achieve.
- Indicate how you plan to evaluate the project. How will you know that you have achieved its objectives?
E. Credentials (1-2 paragraphs)
- Explain how your organization, partners, volunteers, and staff are uniquely equipped to execute this project. Include any historical background about the organization in this section.
- Mention any awards, rankings, or other tangible measures that set you apart from other groups that may want to address the same need.
F. Budget (1-2 paragraphs, use charts or grids, if necessary)
- Provide a description of the project’s funding needs, including its total budget and the amount of that budget you are requesting from the Fund.
- Indicate any other financial commitments you have received.
- Describe the activities a grant from the Fund would be underwriting, and the period of time it would cover.
- Organizations with 501(c)(3) status must include a copy of their IRS letter indicating their non-profit status (not counted against the three-page maximum, as well as reporting the organization’s total income and expenses for 2014 and 2015.
G. Closing (1 paragraph)
- Add any additional information or perspective you’d like us to consider. Don’t repeat anything you have already written.
- Include the organization’s contact information, such as contact name, phone number, mailing address, as well as a website.
Submit your Letter of Intent to LMFund@palmettoproject.org or US Mail to:
Lowcountry Ministries Fund c/o Palmetto Project – 6296 Rivers Avenue #100 – North Charleston SC 29406.
All Letters of Intent (LOI) must be received by 3:00 p.m. on Friday, April 15, 2016.
Contact Thetyka Robinson for questions about the Letter of Intent, Application, and/or selection process: